A couple of my friends go to this beer festival every year in “upstate” New York. (I put this in quotes because I think anything north of the Bronx is “upstate,” when in fact it’s only about 20 minutes outside of the city.)
They invited me along this year and I was lucky enough to have off of work, so I joined them. The entire car ride I heard about this amazing cornbread they serve there. It was supposedly spicy AND sweet. And when we got to the brewery the festival was being held at, I quickly found my friends weren’t the only ones raving about this cornbread.
It seemed like everyone was talking about it—only thing was, it wasn’t there this year. A few hours into the festival I got to talking to this guy whom I quickly discovered used to be the brewery’s chef. AKA the guy who made the infamous cornbread! Obviously, I asked him how to make it!… There was only one problem… he had divulged his secret recipe halfway through the festival. (In case you don’t understand: I was a few drinks in.)
Weeks later when I decided to attempt it, I could only hope that I would do his recipe justice (also that I could actually remember what he told me). I feel like I can safely say that I’ve come pretty close. Because this light and fluffy cornbread incorporates a spiciness that compliments its sweet, chocolatey flavor.
Yields: 8 slices
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
1 box of jiffy cornbread mix
1/3 cup milk
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine cornbread mix, egg, and milk in a medium sized bowl until well mixed.
- Fold in chocolate chips and jalapeno.
- Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray and pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 400°X 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
The Cook’s 2 Cents:
- Alternatively, you could use a muffin tin to make these and end up with tidy individual portion sizes.
- I know some people may be saying, “tsk tsk,” with my use of boxed cornbread mix. But if you read the ingredient list of this Jiffy mix, it’s literally “Corn meal, sugar, and baking soda.” The boxed version is cheap and easy. If you want to make “homemade,” cornbread, simply combine these 3 ingredients with the rest of my ingredient list and voila!
Serving Size: 1 slice
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Calories: 142 Fat: 5g Sodium: 269mg Carbs: 23g Fiber: 1g Sugars: 8g Protein: 3g